Sunday 26 May 2013

Homemade hash browns


Hash browns

You know those amazing breaky wraps you can get at cafes with bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and cheese? Well, that was all I  wanted the yesterday for breakfast! And of course, I am not one to keep things I can deep-fry in the house as we really try to keep only healthy things in the house only.  So I thought I'd just have to wing my own hash-browns - and I was very, very happy with the result! I was so surprised they were so easy as well.

I actually thought that my first attempt would be aweful - that the potato wouldn't cook, it would just fall apart or simply taste nothing like a hashbrown and more just like potato. But in the end they tasted exactly like a hash brown!

Hash browns

Makes 6 small hashbrowns

2 medium potatoes, grated
1/2 tsp of finely grated onion - take a 1/4 of an onion and cut it in half again
2 Tbsp plain flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped or 1/2 tsp of dried parsley
Pepper

1 cup of vegetable oil for frying

In a small bowl whisk up your egg, then add the parsley, pepper and onion. Finally add the potatoes and mix together, followed by the flour - then mix together well.

Heat up the oil in a small frying pan until you run your hand over the top and feel that it's hot, then turn to a medium heat.  Mould the potato mixture into small rissole type shapes and then add each to the oil. The mixture will be quite wet, so resist the urge to add more flour!


Breakfast Wrap
Fry each hash brown until you start to see the sides start to brown slightly, then flip. Cook until the other side is golden - then you're done!

You can have them as part of a big breakfast or in a wrap like I did - which was delicious!!

Enjoy!
Steph xo

No comments:

Post a Comment