Monday 12 August 2013

Home made pizza bases

Who says you need to only have gourmet pizza out? Try prosciutto,
blue cheese and rocket pizza on your home made pizza base!
 

Home made pizza is always better.


I have no idea where I picked this pizza dough recipe from, but it's been written in my recipe book for around five or so years. So yes - this dough has been tested and I can personally recommend it!
 
Home made pizza is a regular in our house. We have all sorts of toppings - from the good old ham, cheese and pineapple to blue cheese, prosciutto and rocket. You might think that it isn't something you can do when you need something quick but you'd be wrong! What I usually do is as soon as I walk in the door I do the dough - and in five minutes I have it sitting to rise. I then go and have my shower, do the washing or whatever chores I have to do. Once I come back it's all ready to roll - I throw on topping and it's in the oven!
 
I know the recipe says to let it double (around 30-40mins) but if you only have 15 or 20 mins that's ok too! It just won't be as soft a dough. Otherwise, my mother-in-law taught me a little trick. If you want your dough to double ASAP, sit your bowl in warm water in the sink and cover it with glad wrap and a towel. Let it sit for 5-10 mins (depending on the quantity) and it'll double. Trust me, she does this every weekend to make Polish donuts and bread for church - it works! This is what she used to do in Poland where there is no "warm" place to let your dough rise.
 
Chicken and bacon pizza
Chicken and bacon pizza.
 

Basic pizza

Also used for calzone

 
Makes 4 thin or 2 thick bases
 
450g (3 cups) of flour, plus flour for dusting
1 tsp instant dried yeast (also known as bread machine yeast) ***
1 tsp salt
310 ml (1 1/4 cups) of warm water
1 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra oil to grease bowl
 
With a wooden spoon combine all your dry ingredients in a large bowl, creating a well in the centre. Add your oil into the well followed by your water. Mix everything together until a dough is formed, using your hands towards the end to knead together slightly.
 
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for a couple of minutes until smooth. Take another clean bowl and coat it with oil (or use spray oil to coat the surface), rolling the dough in the oil slightly before sitting it in the bottom of the bowl. Cover the bowl with cling wrap, placing a tea towel on top of it, and place your dough in a warm, draught free place until it doubles in size (around 30-40 mins).
 
Once doubled, knead the dough in the bowl until it returns to it's original size (for about 1 min). Now you can roll it out and add your favourite toppings!
 
Here's one that I love: Chicken and bacon pizza
 
Enjoy!
Steph xo
 
 
*** Instant dry yeast (also known as instant active dry yeast or bread machine yeast) is used in this recipe as it is added straight to your dry ingredients. I always use "Lowan Whole Foods" instant dried yeast, but this is an Australian brand and may not be available where you are. If you're not sure which you have in the cupboard check out this helpful article: What's the Difference? Instant, active dry and rapid yeast
 

4 comments:

  1. Ummm?? You left off the sugar for the yeast ya know. Kind of IMPORTANT when working with yeast for dough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty! Thanks for stopping by. This recipe actually doesn't use sugar. I've used this recipe for many years now, and can promise it will rise and works a charm! I've shared it with many people and it always works :-)

      Delete
  2. I made a pizza from your Lowan foods yeast dough recipe today Steph.It was delicious.Thank-you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg my children and I made these today and they were delicious 🙃

    ReplyDelete